Thursday, May 1, 2008

The day before

I can't believe that tomorrow night I will be on a plane to London...then one to Johannesburg...then another to a town called Phalaborwa. For those of you who I haven't told a billion times about my exciting trip, I am going to South Africa to work with a species of baboon called a chacma baboon. Should be a good time. I have never worked with primates before, unless some of my classmates qualify, so I am expecting anything to happen.

Basically, I will be feeding, cleaning up after, playing with, and medicating 4oo of these guys. Some of them are injured because they were laboratory animals or they were trapped and got away. A lot of them are orphaned when their mothers are killed by leopards, trappers, or being hit by a car. So one of my more exciting tasks will be to care for little orphaned babies.

Well, off to do some more shopping. More later.

4 comments:

Erik said...

Susan, this sounds really sweet! Have a great time, and send me a postcard or something-- at least put up lots of pictures :)

Doc T said...

Greetings from Prospect High School. You are just finishing up your first week in South Africa. I hope you're having a great adventure. We're all anxious to hear how the week has been and excited to see pictures.
Take care, stay in touch
Doc T, etc.

mollie david said...

Hi Susan! Dr. Tedaldi forwarded your blog site to me so I can keep up with your adventures in Africa. How exciting to work with baboons and see another part of the world so different from our own. I can't wait to read more.....

Doc T said...

Hi Susan: I keep checking each day to see if you have entered any photographs of your African Adventure.
Hope all is well.
Doc T